Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Great Uncle Vaughn Horton – Mom’s Side of the Family


My Great Uncle Vaughn Horton was a country musician and country composer.  This is the Vaughn Horton that is in the Country Music Hall of Fame.  At www.allmusic.com if you search for Vaughn Horton and country there is a collection of the names of people that recorded his songs, as well as some sounds samples.  Some of the names I found that have recorded Uncle Vaughn’s music were:
Elvis Presley
Les Paul
Patti Page
Boston Pops Orchestra
Mary Ford
Lawrence Welk
Jeff Beck
B.B. King
The Manhattan Transfer
Foghat
Louis Jordan
Chet Atkins
Ella Fitzgerald
Jim Reeves
Gene Krupa
as well as many other highly respected and well known musicians.  There was literally hundreds of entries.  In addition, I found someone that had looked into his ancestry and made it available for free on the internet.  The last names of those in the family where respectable names indeed, names like Harrison, Carter, Madden, Priest, and several others.  It’s bound to be true that we have genealogical connections to many well known people, but I can’t say that I know whether or not there is a connection between us and Jimmy Carter, for example
Some of his most famous songs that he is credited with writing are:
Choo Choo Ch’Boogie
I’ll Hold You in My Heart (Till I Hold You in My Arms)
Mockin’ Bird Hill
Sugar Foot Rag
Tear Drops In My Heart

No comments:

Post a Comment